Recipe: Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Mini-Pizzas

Good Morning and Happy Friday everyone! Are you all ready for the weekend??? Josh and I are because tomorrow morning we're heading off to the wonderful state of Colorado!

Source
After I graduated from college, I spent about 6 months living at home before moving out to Colorado to join my best friend Kallie that had moved out there a few months prior. I only lived there for 8 months, but it is, without any doubt, one of my favorite places. I lived in a little town just south of Boulder called Superior - which would be about where the moose's front legs are above Denver - and I loved every minute of it. After I moved to Boston, my other best friend Lindsy moved out to CO too and I cannot even begin to describe how much I miss these girls. Josh has never been to Colorado, and I haven't been out since the weekend before Josh and I met - almost 2 years ago, and I am so excited to go back and show him how wonderful it is! We're leaving tomorrow morning and won't be back until Tuesday. In the meantime, Josh's parents graciously offered to watch Nash (whom we'll miss so so much!) and Josh and I are looking forward to an amazing Colorado adventure! We'll be spending time with friends, watching the Pats beat the Broncos (sorry Tebow fans), visiting some great places and taking in all of the beautiful scenery. I promise to share pictures when we return!

Before we go though, I want to share with you one of my favorite go to appetizers - Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Mini-Pizzas! Years ago - when I was in high school - my mother made this and I instantly knew that it would be one of those forever recipes - the ones that you always keep in your back pocket and that can be used in almost any situation. Need a snack? Make a pizza. Want to wow with an awesome appetizer? Make a pizza. Want something to fill out a smorgasboard? Make a pizza. Need a quick and easy dinner? Make a pizza. Yes, it's that easy (and delicious).


To make one pizza, you need a 1/2 small package of goat cheese, 1/4 of a red onion - sliced, and an 8" pizza crust (Boboli, or a store brand one works). First, place the pizza crust in the oven per the instructions on the package. I used an Archer Farms Pizza Crust here (from Target) and it needed to be in the oven at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes.


While the oven is pre-heating, and then while the pizza is baking, you'll prepare the onions and the goat cheese. To caramelize the red onions, heat a pan over medium-high heat with a teaspoon of olive oil in it. Then, add the slices of red onion with 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 teaspoon of sugar. Once the butter has melted, reduce to low-medium heat and allow about 10-15 minutes to cook and caramelize the onions. If you notice the onions getting too browned, you may turn the heat down and if they seem too dry, adding a little more butter or oil will fix that.


Next, soften the goat cheese in the microwave, for about 45 seconds, so that it is soft enough to spread over the pizza crust.


When the pizza crust is done, remove it from the oven and spread the goat cheese over the top.


Then, once the onions are done, add them to the pizza as well.


Finally, using a pizza cutter (or knife) slice the pizza into 6 small pieces.


And then, enjoy! This takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish and is so delicious! I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and that you enjoy Monday off (if you have it as a holiday)! I'll be stopping in on Monday and Tuesday while we're away with some quick posts - one about roasting garlic and another with a variation on this appetizer pizza. Have a happy Friday and a great weekend!

CONVERSATION

1 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! Last time I tried to make pizza I also made the dough and it was pretty much a disaster haha. I'll make it this way next time!

    ReplyDelete

Back
to top