One Big Bag of Apples

Last weekend when Josh and I went apple picking, we thought it would be fun to get the 20 pound bag. That way we “wouldn’t worry about how many we could pick.” In hindsight, we’ve had smarter ideas. We now have more apples than we know what to do with. And this is the bag after I cooked the apple butter and the apple crumb cake I’m talking about today.



You can expect a few more apple recipes coming your way in the next week or so. Without further ado, here’s an amazing recipe for apple crumb cake from Emeril at the Food Network.

Ingredients:

Cake:

1 stick plus 2 tsp unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups peeled, cored and chopped apples

Crumble Topping:

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
4 tbsp (or 1/2 a stick) of unsalted butter, softened

(Note: The original recipe also calls for a brown sugar glaze, but I felt that there was enough sugar in the dish already. I’m sure the glaze is delicious, but this worked out wonderfully without it.)


I preheated my oven to 350 degrees and then I mixed all of the cake ingredients together, and poured them into my greased 9x13 baking pan. The recipe called for the additional 2 teaspoons of unsalted butter to be used for greasing the pan, but I used Pam Butter Spray instead. I also substituted the butter for Land O’Lakes Light Butter to save on some calories. I know that the sugar kind of evened it out on the healthy scale, but oh well – every little bit helps.


Next, I mixed the crumble topping together in a small bowl. The key word here being CRUMBLE. You'll notice that I don't exactly have what you might call crumble on top of my coffee cake. See, in order to soften the butter I put it in the microwave (as I prefer to do when baking), and I shouldn’t have done that. It turned into more of a glazed icing which I attempted to spread somewhat evenly over the batter. 


It ended up working very well and it was beyond tasty. I took the apple coffee cake into work and it was devoured in just a few hours, with some people even going back for seconds!


Anyone else make yummy treats and bring the leftovers to work? Don’t you love the feeling when you make something and people genuinely enjoy it? I know I do – it definitely brightened up my week!

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top